HMRC have announced a new procedure whereby individuals can email them for written confirmation of their National Insurance number.

You can do this using form CA5403 – see the link below.

If your National Insurance number is incorrect this is likely to mean that any NI contribtions you pay will not be being credited to your personal record and will affect any claims to benefits and your state pension record.

HMRC advise:

‘If you’ve lost or can’t remember your National Insurance number or can’t find it on official paperwork you can email HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) for written confirmation of your number. You can also use this service to let HMRC know that you’ve changed your name or address.’

‘National Insurance cards are no longer issued and your National Insurance number is not proof of your identity.’


HMRC information

Form CA5403

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!